Passion Fruit Flower Cupcakes
Cupcake Ingredients & Directions:
- 200 grams (7 ounces) unsalted butter
- 200 grams (7 ounces) golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten (weigh the eggs to ensure you have the same weight as the butter, sugar, and flour: 220g/7oz)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200 grams (7 ounces) self-raising flour
- 30 grams (1 1/4 ounces) freeze-dried mango powder
- 40 milliliters (1 1/2 fluid ounces) milk
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan (190°C/375°F/Gas 5). Place 12 cupcake cases in a shallow baking tray.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs a little at a time until fully incorporated and then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour and mango powder together and fold into the batter with the milk until smooth with a dropping consistency.
- Divide the batter equally between the cupcake cases.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Passion Fruit Curd Ingredients & Directions:
- 8 passion fruit (135g/4 1/2oz passion fruit seeds)
- 225 grams (8 ounces) golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 90 grams (3 1/4 ounces) unsalted butter – chilled and cut into 1 cm (1/2-inch) cubes
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out all the flesh and seeds. Place in a large saucepan together with the sugar, eggs, butter, and lemon.
- Heat over a medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Do not let the curd boil. As it gradually thickens it will begin to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and transfer to a clean bowl or jar.
- Store in the refrigerator until needed.
Vanilla Buttercream Ingredients & Directions:
- 250 grams (9 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 500 grams (1 pound + 2 ounces) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- Cream the butter and sugar together with the vanilla extract in a large bowl. Add sufficient amount of condensed milk for a semi-soft piping consistency. Divide into bowls and colour each portion as desired.
Cupcake Assembly Directions:
- Use a cupcake corer to remove a plug of cake and spoon 2 very generous teaspoons of passion fruit curd inside each one. Replace the plug of the cake.
- Smear a fine layer of vanilla buttercream over the surface of each cupcake to seal.
- Fill a large piping bag with one colour of buttercream. Fill separate piping bags with other colours if desired.
- Use the piping bag to top cupcakes with buttercream in a swirl-like pattern.
- Refrigerate the cupcakes to firm but serve at room temperature.
Mango and Passion Fruit Cake
- 1 quantity of passion fruit curd (see above)
- 2 quantities of vanilla buttercream (see above)
- Food colouring gels of choice
Cake Ingredients & Directions:
- 275 grams (10 ounces) unsalted butter
- 275 grams (10 ounces) golden caster sugar
- 5 large eggs, beaten (weigh the eggs to ensure you have the same weight as the butter, sugar, and flour: 275g/10oz)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 275 grams (10 ounces) self-raising flour
- 40 grams (1 1/2 ounces) freeze-dried mango powder
- 70 milliliters (3 fluid ounces) milk
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan (190°C/375°F/Gas 5). Grease and line the base and sides of three 20 centimeter (8-inch) round, shallow cake tins
- Using the sponge ingredients, prepare the batter following the instructions shown here.
- Divide the batter equally between the three tins.
- Bake the cakes for 20 minutes until risen and golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Turn out after 10 minutes and leave to cool before wrapping in cling film and chilling before filling.
Cake Assembly Instructions:
- Place the base layer on a cake board, plate, or stand and spread the surface with vanilla buttercream using a palette knife. Create a well in the centre and fill with passion fruit curd. Spread this out to level and place the second layer on top. Repeat with the buttercream and passion fruit curd then apply third layer.
- Spread a generous layer of buttercream over the top and sides and smooth with a palette knife and side smoother.
- Decorate the cake with small swirls.
- Refrigerate the cake to firm, but serve at room temperature.